Heading to a warm destination this summer? I always have a hard time packing for a trip, particularly when I’m not checking a bag on my flight. My natural tendency is to bring along anything and everything I might need–I like options! But when you’re limited to a carry-on bag, one must pack creatively and wisely. In today’s post I’m sharing a few packing tips for your summer vacation.
Before placing anything in a suitcase, I lay out all my potential outfits on the bed so I can visualize each piece, paired in a variety of ways. If I’m overly ambitious, and have the time, I’ll even try things on so I know what looks best. It’s always smart to include semi-neutral items that you can repeat and mix-and-match to create new looks (especially when you have limited space in your bag!). Making a list of all the must-have necessities usually helps me stay organized too.
Here are a few things to consider when heading to a tropical vacation:
- Swimsuit. I’m not a big fan of swimsuit shopping. It always seems hard to find a suit that fits well, and matches my conservative style. But I recently found this one piece from Anthropologie that I love and this all-white bikini from LOFT. White is a nice neutral you can wear with about almost any cover up–and is a striking color against a bronzy tan.
- Cover Up. Cover ups are everything in summer. And this season we’re seeing lots of tassels and pom pom garnishes. Whether you prefer a more classic, chic look or a festive flirty pom pom, I recommend packing a few options; cover ups are wearable from morning breakfast to afternoon cocktails by the pool, so definitely an item that’s worth taking-up extra suitcase real estate.
- Accessories. Don’t forget to pack festive jewelry, sunglasses and a sunhat! These J.Crew tassel earrings paired with a low bun, and an off-the-shoulder dress will make for a complete oh-la-la dinner-ready look! Accessories are always a fun way to add flair to any look.
- Sunblock. Nobody wants to head home lobster-faced. Make sure you lather on sunblock to protect your skin and prevent those dreadful wrinkles and sun spots! Coola offers an organic sunblock for face and body that smells yummy too.
- Dress. Who doesn’t love a breezy billowy dress for summer? Here and here are two pretty vacation-ready options that can go from day to evening!
- Sandals. Espadrilles, strappy sandals, and wedges are all great choices for summer. I recommend packing neutral colors that wear well with a variety of outfits. Shoes are typically the heaviest item in your bag so choose wisely!
- Beach Bag. Use your beach bag as your tote when flying. On our recent trip to Los Cabos I filled my beach bag to the brim with some of my more delicate dresses and tops. I also used a small white pouch as my wallet and clutch–just another way to double-up!
- Book. Summertime is a great season to catch-up on those books sitting idle on your nightstand; so don’t forget to pack a new book for poolside reading on your next getaway. I just finished Wild and Free, a recommendation from a dear friend, and I soaked in every last word.
Good luck packing, friends. Below I link to a few summer-ready options that might peek your fancy. Enjoy! xo
Shop this post!
Beach Bag: similar here | Clutch: Ann Taylor | Swimsuit: Anthroplogie and LOFT | Cover Ups: LOFT | Hat: similar here | Shoes: Joie sandals & Ann Taylor Espadrille | Earrings: J.Crew | Sunscreen: Coola Body & Face, Supergoop! Hand Cream